Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use cursor variables, dynamic sql

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelandrew

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2001
US
I have a procedure that needs to select/sort through a table 10 times. The only thing different in each select is the 'where' and 'order by' clauses. I need to use a cursor to process but don't want to duplicate processing code for each cursor ten times since the routine is the same for each pass. Can I use a cursor variable to point to each of the selects or should I use dynamic sql? Can't seem to find many examples of cursor variables or using dynamic sql.

You can build you own sql strings something like, if this is what you are asking. try it in ISQLW.exe

declare @sql varchar(2000)
declare @wherestring varchar(50)
declare @orderstring varchar (50)
set @wherestring = 'where something = '
set @orderstring = 'order by '

set @sql = 'Select * from yourtable ' +
@wherestring + yourcriteria +
@orderstring + yourorder
exec (@sql)

This may give you an idea on using cursors...please note: There's no error checking in this code!!! One other thing, I know that dynamic SQL causes a small performance hit since the Stored Proc needs to re-determine which index to use with each select the data. I don't believe this same issue is true with the explicit declares.

IF @pintCase = 1
DECLARE CaseCursor CURSOR
FORWARD_ONLY STATIC FOR
Select Field1,
Field2
From Table1
Where Field1 = @pintSomeValue

Else
DECLARE CaseCursor CURSOR
FORWARD_ONLY STATIC FOR
Select Field1,
Field2