Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use clireg32 without giving servername...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackan

Programmer
Dec 6, 2000
SE
When I use clireg32 to register my .VBR files on the client, it is not possible to not give the -s option.

I have one client, but two servers. I want to register my files one the client without giving a explicit server. I tried to register with a "dummyserver" given in the -s option. But this gave an error in the event log, "DCOM could not find server..". When I removed the RemoteServer key from the registry it worked just fine.

How do I register my components on the client without having to give a remoteserver???

I would love to know the answer as well!

Tarek

The more I learn, the more I need to learn!

Have you tried using the Package and Deployment Wizard and including the .VBR and .TLB files as part of the Setup package? The PDW will recognize that they are remote server files and ask you to provide the servername where the server components will be installed. However, if you leave it blank, you can provide the servername when you run the client setup package.

I got this from a book called "Visual Basic 6 MTS Programming" by Matthew Bortniker with James Conard, page 577. I tried this approach and so far it works quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back