Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use certain design-time components for each prj?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarefk

Programmer
Jul 13, 2006
IR
Dear Gurus,

The organization in which I work,uses a kind of configuration management.In such a change management system each product is developed in two lines: 1- Main Line 2-Emergency Line . the main version of the
product is held in Main line and all emergency patches or service packs are developed in Emergency line. There are some components (Visual Controls) like Grids,Text boxes and... which are installed in Delphi. These components have two different versions too.one for Main line and another one for Emergency line. The problem is that when I open a project from Main line,I have to install those components (Grids,...) from this location and when I want to work on a component from Emergency line I must uninstall these components and install them from Emergency path.
Now afters such a long description, my question is that: is there a way to load a project with a certain collection of components? (These components must be installed in
Delphi IDE).

Thank you,

Aref

Don't know about that. Even if you start 2 copies of delphi and install the required comps they will be shared on the next start up AFAIK.
But you could re organise your component palette, create new tabs for each different project type.
Use the editor in Component/Configure pallett., But I dont think you can duplicate components in more than one list
(which would be a good addition)

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

another tip : each windows user can have it's own component collection, so all you need to do is have a "main" user and an "emergency" user...

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

I use the solution of various users
I create a new user for any new costumer, so the windows 'recent' folder has only the matter of this costumer

and the delphi environment may be different for each project/costumer

or
you could change the name of the classes or inherit then to different classnames, so you could have duplicate components in the same environment, with class names lide TEditMain and TEditEmergengy, TGridMain and TGridEmergency...

"Suffering, anguish, desperation and hard work are the materials a good programmer is made of." (buho (A))
"and against short remaining time..." (me)

I also recently encountered the same problem. We have two projects, each one using different component. Yet both components are mutually exclusive.

At this moment the temporary solution is just like you. All I can do is write a batch file (.bat) to automate the copy/delete process.

Maybe there is something we can do to automate the component installation via a .bat file? Just like the setup of Jedi VCL.

---

ndaru, I thought to use .bat in the past, but think about:
this same copy is implicitly done by windows when you log with a user or another, windows copies from the 'docs and setts' folder to the 'programs' folder

"Suffering, anguish, desperation and hard work are the materials a good programmer is made of." (buho (A))
"and against short remaining time..." (me)

I've used VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC to have a separate OS and a separately installed Delphi on my desktop. You may need to have licenses available for the extra install - but MS Virtual PC is now free and can be installed on most windows computers. VMWare is superior, but I think their free VMWare Server product may require a server OS - not sure, so check it out if you want to go down that road.

If you haven't used virtualization software before, it can be kinda trippy at first but suddenly all sorts of possibilities open up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back