Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use bash shell in netBSD 1.5x? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samansk

Technical User
Dec 7, 2000
1. Does NetBSD1.5x come with bash and other text editor other than vi editor?
2. How to make blink cursor in NetBSD?

I hope by now you've found another source for this information... But if not and for others, since this forum seems rather inactive, check out
According to netbsd.org:

csh is the default shell, but bash can be installed from the NetBSD packages collection.
vi and ed are the only editors installed by default, but others are available, also from the NetBSD packages collection, I imagine.

Not sure about where you'd change cursor characteristics, but you can probably find that at netbsd.org also.

Are there no Tek-Tips regulars running NetBSD??

No, I dont run NetBSD either, but I am working on your problem and a problem of ours similar to yours my team will have you and answer in a few hours---Microsoft@publishing

You have to install bash from the packages collection. You can download precompiled package for your platform or use the pkgsrc to download and build from source. After installing bash you have to change the shell for the user you want to use /usr/pkg/bin/bash as a shell (not sure for the path, take a look at /etc/shells after installing bash). Log off. Log on. Voila.
Don't forget to set $PS1 and $PS2 environment variables to match your desire :)

For the editor - the same goes here: Pick an editor from the packages, install it, use it.
Vi is fine, I preffer vim, there are also emacs, jed, pico, ...

Seems as if your bash question has been answered, as far as the script editor goes. you could use vi or ed as DumTech mentioned earlier. However, i personally dont prefer vi because of all the things you have to type just to delete a mistake or whatever. You should go pico or if you dont have time to install it, just type edit file.conf, this is much easier then other editor's. And it should be previously installed on your NetBSD machine. :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back