Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Use Apache as a Web Serve when on a Dynamic IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradfn

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
US
Hi, I am running XP Pro on my home computer and I just installed Apache with PHP. I can view my files while on the local network, but since i have a Dynamic IP address with my internet access company i am curious as to how I make my server available to others off my local network?

Any help would be great!!

Hi,

The way I do it to have a server available about 20 hours a day with dynamic IP:

#1. Register for a dynamic domain (Dynamic DNS), e.g. I am using one of there alternative Domain Suffix for my home computer, i.e. flyinggorillaz.homeip.net.

#2. Install one of their Client programs for Windows, e.g. DirectUpdate (Shareware).

What this does. DYNDNS allows an IP address to be bound to a frequently changing IP address. DirectUpdate (or similar tool) then uses a specific protocol to update your account with DYNDNS with your new IP address. When installed as a Windows Service, it recoginises a new IP (e.g. when I dial my DSL modem) and updates your domain.

That should now work without any other config changes within Apache.

However, as I have sub domains that I wish to serve as seperate web sites, I use Virtual Hosts in Apache to have capture alternative requests and route them to different DocumentRoots etc.

To do this with dynamic IPs, you must configure Apache to use Named Virtual Hosts.

My virtual hosts recieve requests on:
#1. [tt] [/tt]
[This is an empty web site - mainly to test virtual hosts]
#2. [tt] [/tt]

#2 actually uses the RewriteEngine to redirect all ROOT requests to the WebApp "JetSpeed". So any my.flyinggorillaz requests are routed to a portal server.

I have other domains routed to a friends server - but we haven't yet installed the virtual hosting, so goes to his Default HTTP Server!

If you have further questions, please let me know!

Good luck,
Phil

or

The thing I like about no-ip is they offer port forwarding for free. I'm not sure if dyndns does. You might want to check if your ISP blocks outgoing port 80 traffic, if so you'll need to switch your webserver to another port. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

thanks for all your help guys, i pretty much have it going now thanks to you!!!

thanks for your help guys, i got it going!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back