Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use a process on another machine? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan232

Programmer
May 19, 2004
US
Hi All;

I currently have a vfp tsr running as a service on machine A. Machine A also has the database for the network.

Machine B accesses the database on Machine A via network.

Currently, I have machine B placing a record in a 'job' que on machine A of which the tsr service checks periodically. Finding a new record in the 'job' que, Machine A takes appropriate action.

I'm hoping there is a better way to do this such that I can avoid a timer loop. Somthing like Machine B directly calls a process on Machine A, rather then having Machine A check files for an open 'Job'.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks,
Alan

Use winsock (TCP/IP communication). There are a number of threads and a faq or 2 on using winsock.

Andy Snyder
SnyAc Software Services

Like SnyAc said, TCP/IP may be a way to go about it.

Go the my web site in my signature and take a look at the "Chat" client/server app.
You could connect to the server app, send a message and disconnect if you want.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Hi Dave;

Thanks for the reference! I really appreciate the downloads from your site. Many new concepts to me,

Thanks,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back