Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use a PIX 501 @ home 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRMS

MIS
Sep 4, 2003
US
I have a Pix 501 firewall and would like to use it for home usage. I currently use broadband Internet. I have a wireless LAN setup using a Linksys Wireless - G router. Will someone please explain how I can use the 501 in my home environment? I currently do not have a static IP from the ISP. Please help!!!!

config t
interface ethernet0 auto
interface ethernet1 100full
hostname pixfirewall

dhcpd auto_config outside
dhcpd address 192.168.2.20-192.168.2.25 inside
dhcpd dns 63.240.76.198 (your values)
dhcpd dns 204.127.199.8 (your values)
dhcpd enable inside
route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.26.0.1 (your values)
global (outside) 1 interface
nat (inside) 1 0 0 0 0
wr mem
exit

When that's working, connect one of the ports on the Linksys to a LAN port on the Pix. Decide which one, if either, will handle DHCP. Depending on the Linksys DHCP flexibility, you might need to use the Pix or another device. My wireless router insists on providing itself for DNS and gateway values.

I set the Wireless WAN to some private static IP just to keep it from constantly trying to get a WAN IP.

Thanks for the reply. The ip address that I receive from Cox is a dynamic. Will I need to set the inside interface with that ip address. Also will I need to perform PAT translation? Thanks for all suggestions.

Check the article, I think it has everything. You'll specifically need to follow the directions for making the Pix a DHCP client, to receive the IP address from Cox. Yes, you'd use PAT with the nat and global statements that N0ktar mentioned.

FYI, I and others have had trouble with Adelphia cable, so don't be too surprised if the Pix can't get its address from the cable modem.

Ok, here are my additional questions:
1. What do I assign my outside interface
2. What should the route statement contain. Should it contain the ISP gateway?
3. Should I be able to connect the PIX 501 w\ a direct patch cable

Thanks for your patience and assisting me with this matter.

1. Use DHCP for your outside address
2. Add the "setroute" option to your ip address statement.
3. You need a crossover cable, most likely.

Thanks lgarner. I will try and let you know.

Thanks all. The PIX's outside interface is receiving an IP address from the Linksys DHCP Client. I have set an address range for the dynamic addresses on the inside interface. All is well. However, I have questions about my physical setup which is follows:

Internet=>Cable Modem=>Linksys Wireless G Router=>Workstation/Pix Firewall 501

1. I would like for my private network to sit behind the firewall
2. I would like my workstations and laptops get an IP address from the DHCP client on the PIX

I have not tested, but is considering the following:

Internet=>Cable Modem=>Linksys Broadband Router=>Pix=>Linksys Wireless G Router=>Workstations

I am currently using a Linksys Broadband Router for VoIP for phone service. It is currently another not off the Wireless Router. Do anyone see a problem with this set up?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

I thought the PIX501 was made to do accept DHCP, i.e. for DSL and cable users. The last PIX501 I had setup I remember seeing something in the initial setup program asking about this. Unfortunetely I skipped past all that, which I regret now doing.

You should access the pix via the PDM (pix device manager), its basically a graphical interface and its MUCH MUCH EASIER to configure the pix this way. You would get to it by typing in of the pix

leave the username and password blank and you should be able to get to it, within the Pix Device Manager you can specify a static or dynamic ip address for the outside interface. Just set it to dynamic.

You should have your internet setup like this:

CableModem--->Pix501(DHCP Server, dishing out ip's--->Linksys wireless router with DHCP Turned off--->Workstations

your pix should be setup with DHCP turned on, your wireless router should have dhcp turned OFF.

Thanks etaketa for your assistance. Should I configure a static IP for the Linksys Wireless Router. If so, should the IP address be an address from the range with the DNS setting as well.

Will the linksys issue out DHCP addresses for the PIX eventhough the DHCP is turned off on the Linksys. I would like to keep my mobility.

Sorry for the confusion.

The linksys will not ISSUE Out ANY IP ADDress to anything because DHCP will be turned off... ITS THE PIX501 that will be the DHCP server and it will issue an ip address to all devices/computers on the network, including all laptops, desktops and routers(if you want it to)

For example: lets say the pix inside interface is 192.168.1.1, then in the PIX DEVICE MANAGER you can specify that the PIX dole out ip address from 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.30.

then you can specify a static ip address in the linksys as 192.168.1.2(since its not being used by DHCP), also specify the gateway as 192.168.1.1(the pix would be the gateway)

Or you can just specify a dynamic ip address in the linksys and let it get its ip address from the DHCP on the pix.

its up to you, it will work both ways.

Also if possible, make your wireless router/AP into "bridge mode". This will make the configuration much more simple as the wireless router/AP now works like a switch/bridge.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will try it and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back