Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use 2 Different LAN on a Notebook ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salimwng

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
MU
Hello Team,

I'm stuck with a serious problem.

Hardware :- Dell Inspiron
O.S :- Windows XP Pro - SPack 2

I have configured a Notebook (Dell Inspiron) with the LAN at the office. We have Wingate on the File Server to share an ADSL Internet connection. I have configured the Notebook ( in Internet Options --> Connections --> LAN Settings, so that it reads the IP address of the Wingate Server ). {Example, IP Address of Wingate Server is 10.0.0.1} It works great.

The problem now lies when i have to use the same notebook at home with another ADSL. In this one, the Gateway IP address is 70.0.0.2

How should i configured the notebook in such way so that i do not have to change the parameters on every LAN change?

Any ideas ???

Thanks for your suggestions,
Salim

If you have a DHCP server at both loactions just set it to get an IP address automatically and it will take care of the issue for you.

salimwng,

franklin97355 is spot on if both locations utilize a DHCP. I am not familiar with ADSL but if like cable, you have to set this. If the office has a DHCP and you need a different setting for home, an easy solution would be to obtain a router that will handle the DHCP functions. And all will be good.

If neither location, especially the office, has DHCP server functionality you can have a look at the links for how you can do this either at the cmd line, and once you establish the correct syntax you can write a "batch" file to run to switch.

I would just write two, i.e "home" & "office" and ignore the bringing up a choice routine, unless you are very good at writing batch or JS routines.

Using Netsh

How To Change Network Interface Card (NIC) Settings Programmatically

Hope this helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

OK even better solution why not use a programe called netswitch all you have to do is set it up and save at work then go home set it up for home and switch at which ever location you are at ...30 seconds..you can not though use it to change between 2 domains...
hope it helps

ps it still works if u run out of on the 30 day trail

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."

Hi guys,

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

I've checked on post given by schtek, and the program appears interesting. Thumps up schtek.

Am actually downloading it and will post feedback here.

Many thanks again for your help,
Salim

Or why not try configuring an Alternative configuration on the IP stack for your card?

If you click on the tcpip protocol properties and then Alternate Configuration you could have two static settings applied to the same card and not have to worry about switching (it would do it automatically).

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Hello Simon,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

However, i've been searching for the Alternate Configuration in the TCP/IP protocal and could not find this. Could you please give me any clue.

Awaiting your prompt help,

Thank you
Salim

Sure, goto the Local Area Connection properties, go to the Internet Protocol (TCPIP) and double click on it. That should bring up the general properties and as you look up you should see an Alternate Configuration tab, click on that and that's where you can put your secondary config.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Hi Dave,

Sorry to bother you again, i've checked at what you said, but i do not have the Alternate Configuration tab. What i've got is ONLY the GENERAL TAB. There's the Advanced Button at the bottom in this window, and there's no Alternate Configuration neither in it.

OS is Windows XP Pro - Service Pack 2.

What do you think ?

Regards.
Salim

I checked this and found that the computer that was not part of a domain(only a workgroup) did not have the Alternate tab. Are you using a domain at work?

I think that the Alternate tab will only show up if DHCP is enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back