Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to update ActiveX control

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcfarlane

Programmer
Mar 21, 2001
CA
I recently updated from Visual FoxPro 5 to Visual FoxPro 6. In an application that I have developped I used the progressbar and the treeview controls in a class. I want to update them to their FoxPro 6 versions and all usages of them in the form classes that they were used. Is there a way to do this or do I have to copy down all the settings of the existing controls, delete them and add the new controls and re-enter the properties and code contained in the controls?

Hello.

They are stored in different .OCX files. You have to delete them and put the new ones.

Hope this helps. Grigore Dolghin
Class Software
Bucharest, Romania

Not quite what I wanted to do, but it seems to be my only choice.

Thanks
Jason

Have you tried hacking the VCX/SCXs. There are all tables that you can open and replace the old controls with the names of the new ones. If you intend to do this don't forget to save a copy of the original first (as we all do when we try something new :)). You may have to recompile I think so that the other forms etc get updated.

Hope this helps

Gem a.k.a "the new KID"

How would I go about hacking the vcx/scx files?

Jason

I used the progressbar and the treeview controls in a class

Does this mean you made a class in which you used the treeview and the progress bar (in a class library) and you dropped this class on your forms ?

If so, why not use the beautiful OOP functionality of VFP.

If you used it as a class, all you have to do is update the class and recompile all your forms and the job would be done.

This is the beauty of OOP. Subclass many times, adjust only once for all subclasses.

HTH,
Weedz (Wietze Veld)
veld4663@exact.nl
The Netherlands

They cling emotionally to code and fix development rather than choosing practices based on analytical assesments of what works best.

After the GoldRush - Steve McConnell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back