Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to update a table with just SURNAMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyBear9

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have some single field data that consists of a names in the following format:

Example:
Title Initials/First Name Surname
Mr D David Bolton

There are about 12,000 names. Some that have just titles, some with just initials and so on.

PROBLEM: I want to run an update query using Access 97/2000 that will allow me to keep ONLY the Surnames. I have been able to use MID and TRIM to work on the data from left to right, but I have had to run the query several times. Is there an easy way to do this? How can I work from right to left?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is a problem that occurs quite frequently.

The right function will let you work right to left...

what's the SQL you are using? Kyle ::)

Sounds like you need a query with the following SQL

SELECT DISTINCT TableName.FieldName... FROM TableName

that should produce a list of unique Surnames. Sandy

Hi,

Sorry! I was not clear in my post! The title, initial(s) and surname appear in ONE field. Example:

Mr D Bolton

I would like to run an update query to give me just:

Bolton

Is this possible?

I can't find it in my books, but for some reason, I think I heard you can use the INSTR with a negative start position and it will start from the right side? If so, start from the end and look for the first " " and get everything after it. Hmmmm... Am I losing it??? Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back