Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to update a field while inserting a row

Status
Not open for further replies.

faimuj

Technical User
Jan 23, 2012
US
Hello,

I wanted to know what would be the best way to update a field of a row while I am inserting. Here are the tables and fields (for simplicity I am only including relevant fields):

firms
⁃ firm_id (integer, autoincrement, primary key)
⁃ firm_code (varchar(25), internal code)
⁃ name (varchar(100), firm name)
offices
⁃ office_id (integer, autoincrement, primary key)
⁃ office_code (varchar(25), internal code)
⁃ firm_id (integer, foreign key to firms table, NOT NULL)
⁃ firm_code (varchar(25), internal code)
⁃ name (varchar(100), office name)

The firms data has already been loaded. What I want to do is as I load the data into the offices table, via LOAD TABLE command, I want to check the firm_code in the offices data against the firm_code in the firms table and update the firm_id while I perform the insert into the offices table.

I was thinking about writing a trigger to do that; however, since I have never written a trigger, I was not sure how to go about doing that via a trigger. Also, if there are better ways to achieve this, please let me know that as well.

Thank you in advance.

First, why do you want to store firm_id AND firm_code in the offices table?
(See
When it comes to your insert, if you choose the trigger solution you'll need one insert trigger and one update trigger to make sure firm_id and firm_code always are consistent. (If you remove the firm_code column from the offices table, you don't have that problem!)

Hello JarlH,

Thanks for your reply. Let's just say I need the firm_code and the firm_id. Since I have not done triggers, would it be possible to show how the sql syntax look like? Also, would two triggers work in this situation? Since firm_id in the offices table is NOT NULL, I'm not sure if the insert would even work. Is it possible to retreive the firm_id before the insert, update the firm_id of the inserted row, and insert the row?

Thanks again.

Have you considered a view, to get both the firm_code and the firm_id? I mean skip the firm_code in the office table, instead create a view that also includes the firm_code column.
[tt]
create view offices_view (office_id, office_code, firm_id, firm_code, name) as
select office_id,
office_code,
firm_id,
(select firm_code from firms where office.firm_id = firms .firm_id),
name
from office
[/tt]

Here you have both columns!!!

Alternatively, if you include both firm_id and firm_code in the firm table's primary key, then the offices' foreign key will ensure consistent data. (Also make firmfirm_code not null and unique.)
[tt]
create table firms (
firm_id integer autoincrement,
firm_code varchar(25) not null unique,
name varchar(100),
primary key (firm_id,firm_code));

create table offices
(office_id integer primary key autoincrement,
office_code varchar(25),
firm_id integer not null,
firm_code varchar(25),
name varchar(100),
foreign key (firm_id ,firm_code) references firms);
[/tt]

The trigger used at insery will look something like:
[tt]
create trigger ins_off before insert on offices
referencing new row as n for each row
begin atomic
set n.firm_code = (select firm_code from firms
where firm_id = n.firm_id);
end
[/tt]

Create a similar one for update as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back