Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to unlock terminal through Command line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhawani123

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2000
IN
Hello Guys,

Is any command to unlock the display without disturbing the
existing terminal on solaris 2.7 System?

Regd,
Ajay Lohani

I believe that the only way to unlock the screen is to kill the users dtsession. This will log them out and kill their session.

Hello dkuhlio,

If you kill the dtsession,ttsession,dtterm daemon you will lost the existing terminal also.
My question is when I lock the terminal through xlock command that time to unlock the terminal I just grep the xlock daemon and kill to that daemon and get the all previous
terminal.
But when I lock the terminal from lock icon which appear on CDE could not be able to unlock through command.

Regd,
Ajay

OpenWindows used the "xlock" client, whereas the CDE screen lock is integrated into the window manager (dtwm) and session manager (dtsession), so when a CDE user invokes a screen lock via tooltalk messaging, the CDE dtsession is requested to lock the screen. dtsession locks the screen by
calling dtexec to execute dtscreen, which is the program which displays the screen saver patterns on the screen, from the dtscreen(1X) man page:
"Note that the Session Manager, dtsession, is responsible for locking the session and prompting for a password to unlock, the session manager may launch the dtscreen client to provide screen saver animations during session lock, refer to the session manager specification for resources controlling the launching of screen savers by the session manager."

However you *cannot* unlock the screen simply by killing dtscreen, this is because CDE notices its death and starts a new one, this is part of the normal scheme where dtsession invokes multiple instances of the screen saver,
in succession, to put up different patterns, also, the password dialog is part of the window manager, not the dtscreen process. The only way to kill the screen lock is to kill the user's dtsession, which ends their login session very abruptly! they will be logged out of CDE and
work-in-progress may be lost, this design was necessary to provide a secure screen-lock to the user.

Regards,

Carlos Almeida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back