Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to unlock box 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

letimoli

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
US
I got a QuarkXpress 5 file which contains several tables. One of them has one entire box (frame) which is locked and I don't know how to unlock it in order to edit it. I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Thanks!

Leticia

Are you getting a locked icon when you click on the box?

- If so try clicking on the box - -go to item >unlock

- Or F6 will do the same.

info@prepress-online.com

"Tell'em we're comin', and hell's comin' with us.

You may have to select the box if it is either inline or in the back. To do this use the pointer tool and click on the box while holding down shift,control,option, command. A lot of keys, but it lets you select through layers of text, boxes, etc.

Or, could it be the tables are eps graphics from another application?

Thank you very much BodesMan, it works!!!

Leticia

Thank you , this is also very useful to know.

Leticia

Oops! Actually it is not working when I want to rotate the box, which I need to do in order to edit it.

How can I unlock it in order to be able to rotate the box?

You click on the box and you can't rotate using the measurements palette or you can't use the free transform rotate - found on the tools menu. Are you working on layers by chance?

info@prepress-online.com

"Tell'em we're comin', and hell's comin' with us.

Or, if it is an inline graphic, you cannot rotate it. You would have to use the pointer tool to copy it, paste it somewhere on the pasteboard, and then replace the new one with the existing one.

I really don't understand just what your situation is. Can you explain better if the graphic is inline, or loose (floating in the document). That might help. If it is a loose picture box, there are 2 ways to rotate in the measurements pallette. One does the box and one does the contents of the picture box.

Actually it is not an inline graphic. Whoever designed this table used a different box for the name and description of the table on top and then a second box with several rows and columns. This second box is locked. I don't know if it is a graphic inline or what kind of element is it. How should I find out?

It is still hard to understand this. First off, you say the box needs to be rotated. You should be able to rotate it selecting the pointer tool. First try selecting all (with the pointer tool)and then the unlock command. You may have to do this a couple of times.

If you double click on the bottom box (with the contents tool) a dialog box will come up. If it does, then it is for sure a graphic and not something that was made in Quark. Of course, you would have to have run an upgrade fixing this thing in Quark that was not there for the 6.0 version. Version 6.5 fixed this.

If the dialog box does not come up, then it is a Quark element. Can you select text with the contents tool on one line of the text? It is important to be using the correct tool, contents vs. pointer when trying to select this table. This could be a table made with rules.

I still don't quite understand, but look into these things and see if anything comes up that helps.

select the item locked,got to item menu,check unlock or just select the item wish to unlock and press F6

This was tried a few steps back. It solved some of the problem. But, something else is going on. Where are you Letimoli? Has your problem been solved?

I kind of skimmed through this -- I know in version 5 tables couldn't be rotated. I *think* this was fixed in the 6.5 update, but I haven't tried it.

Hello, I had to be away from all this for a while but I see that you all pitched in. Thanks very much.

I am a translator and got a file from someone else. They did a very poor job in putting it up together, such as not using the style sheets or other features of Quark that even I have learned to use.

I have tried all the things that you suggested here but none of those have worked. I finally told my client that there was nothing that I could do with that table in Quark and they accepted that I use a Word file... Anyway, this may be a problem with version 5 then.

This is for Pobajo: I could not select the contents of the box that I could not rotate. I wouldn't know how to distinguish between an inline or loose graphic, but it seems to me that they inserted a fixed object in this table. All I needed was to rotate it so that I could overwrite the English with the target language for the translation.

Thanks a lot again!

An inline graphic is one that is imbedded in the text. If you take your pointer tool and try to select it and move it, you can't. It is like a character in the text box. If you take your pointer tool and can select and move it, then it is loose and not inline.

I'm still guessing that it is an object from another application. If you took the contents tool and put it in the picture box and hit delete, and if it goes away, then this is what it looks like. I would certainly like to see this but know this is not possible. There is an explanation!

BTW I did foreign work in Pagemaker for 5 years in 7 languages. I do general publishing now, but enjoyed working with the foreign language so much. Would love to get into it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back