Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to uninstall windows messenger??? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpeliam

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
arrrghhh :eek:) you think they'd learn. NO MORE OBTRUSIVE MS CRAP!!!! I can't seem to get rid of Messenger, and it keeps popping up whenever it feels like it. Where's the uninstall???

PLEASE help :eek:) obviously somewhat frustrated... Liam Morley
lmorley@wpi.edu
"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.
light the world, and bring depth to the silence."

Imotic,

Navigate to C:\windows\inf\
Open sysoc.inf
find msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7 in the file and take out the word hide so the line would look like msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7
Close the file and save it
Now go to the Add and remove programs applet in the control panel and you will be able to uninstall windows messenger.
Make sure to click on the add remove windows components button.
Note: You will be able to uninstall other unneeded programs by removing hide from the sysoc.inf file as well.

-Brett

Maybe that works for you, but I think Bill Gates put a hex on my machine, 'cause it doesn't work for me. (and yes, I did "Save" the file)

it worked for me... it's at the bottom of &quot;Windows Components&quot;, not in the ordinary add/remove section. <p>Liam Morley<br><A HREF="mailto:"></A><br>&quot;light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>light the world, and bring depth to the silence.&quot;

Make sure when you save sysoc.inf, that you DON'T save it as sysoc.inf.txt, which is what will happen most of the time using Notepad. Save it as &quot;sysoc.inf&quot; including the quotes. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Try this method than. Read carefully, its all most the same but not quite. READ CAREFULLY OR SIMPLY COPY AND PASTE THE CORRECT LINE.

If you'd like Windows Messenger to show up in the list of programs you can add and remove
from Windows, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\inf (substituting the correct drive letter for your
version of Windows) and open sysoc.inf. You'll see a line that reads:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

Change this to the following and Windows Messenger will appear in Add or Remove Programs,
then Add/Remove Windows Components, then , and you can remove it for good:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

Make sure you save the file after removing the line. You also have to choose
&quot;Add/Remove Windows Components&quot; from the left side its the third and last
choice. I have done this and it works. very nicely. Its the only way to
prevent it from coming back. Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
&quot;SomeWhere in Kansas--&quot;Near Dodge City&quot;

i have followed your instructions to the letter and still no luck, i have checked and double checked my actions. is there any other way to remove it? for example could you give me a list of all the files it uses so i can manually uninstall it?

cheers in advance

I removed it and the system got flakey. I settled for this-
open up messenger and UNCHECK &quot;load at startup&quot; AND &quot;run in the background&quot;.
It will no longer load at start or reload every time the browser or Outlook is opened
jimi_l

I had same problem uninstalling Messenger, when I unhid it a little box would just appear in Windows Components but it couldn't be removed. Try this, it removes it perfectly.
1. Right click and create a new shortcut. Type in rundll32.exe then click next and finish.
2. Bring up properties on shortcut and add following line after &quot;%windir%\System32\RunDll32.EXE&quot;
&quot;advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\WINDOWS\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove,5&quot;
So the target should be &quot;%windir%\System32\RunDll32.EXE advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\WINDOWS\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove,5&quot;, without &quot; marks.
3. Now just double click this and it will remove Messenger completly from your system.

Hope this works for you.
James

SO121 works a treat on my machine. Thanks it was just strating to irritate me with its pinging and blah blah has sent you a new message every 5 minutes.

Thanks for the help

To unistall WIndows Messnger type this in the Run command &quot;RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove&quot; I hope this helps and enjoy... Tejanorey

&quot;Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army.&quot;
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back