Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Uninstall botched Metaframe XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsheldon

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2004
US
I need help in uninstalling a botched installation of Metaframe XP on a Windows 2000 server. Before I took over this system, a consultant had installed Metaframe, but did not complete the installation by registering it. Without knowing that, I installed the latest Windows service patches. Now I can't install various applications without getting a licensing warning, and I can't uninstall Metaframe XP without getting the message "Unable to query current process information."

Does anyone know how to get this software off the server without rebuilding it (which was suggested by one "expert") or paying Citrix $400 an hour. We don't even need this software now.

Thanks,
Tom

You can un-install Metaframe XP, since I have done a couple of times when building a test server. It can be removed safely from the Add/Remove Programs applet. Have you tried this and are having problems?

Thanks for responding. Yes, when I tried to uninstall from Add/Remove Programs applet, I get the message "Unable to query current process information."

I also tried going through the install again hoping that it would provide an uninstall option.

Now this doesnt always work...but I have seen the problem.

First I would recommend finishing the install and then immediately uninstalling. For some reason, even if you exit an installation it doesn't fully remove the previous partial install.

Now if the partial install errors out, just delete the citrix folder under program files and try again.

If you still have the media, then twilliams is correct. You should re-attempt the installation and then run the Add/Remove programs applet.

I installed MetaFrame XP Feature Release 2, then try to uninstall. This is the new error:

Error 25623. Could not unregister the subsystem ImaNDS.dll. Ensure that the IMA Service is running and the connection to the datastore is available. To ignore this error run the uninstall with the property CTX_MF_FORCE_SUBSYSTEM_UNINSTALL set to "Yes". Consult your administration guide for help uninstall with command line parameters.

Naturally, there is not much related to uninstall in the administrators guide. I just want to get rid of Citrix, not turn this into a Citrix learning experience. Any clues how I can make this uninstall quick and easy?

Any help appreciated!

Tom

Since this is a component that integrates with Novell NDS, have you logged on using your NDS credentials or local credentials only? I am wondering whether its an issue with permissions that is causing this problem. Try logging in locally (not into NDS) and see if you can perform the un-install.

itsp1965,

Aha. That comment gives me something to chase. Early on, this server had connections to NDS and even contains a user base carried over from an NDS system. I recently removed all things associated with Novell, but maybe not...

At any rate, I am currently thinking about rebuilding this system.

If you need to force the removal of MetaFrame XP from the system, you can use the command line to add the property CTX_MF_FORCE_SUBSYSTEM_UNINSTALL and set its value to “Yes.”

The following sample command line enables logging of the uninstallation operation and forces the removal of MetaFrame XP:

msiexec /x MFXP001.msi /l*v c:\output.log CTX_MF_FORCE_SUBSYSTEM_UNINSTALL=”Yes”

If one encounters any issues, it has been observed that removing the quotation marks around Yes may allow the force uninstall command to execute as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back