Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to unformat hdd in Win 98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yhchooi

MIS
Nov 1, 2001
MY
How do I unformat a drive formatted with Windows 98? Can I also unformat a drive created in Win 98?

Best Regards
YH Chooi

Please explain 'unformat'. What exactly are you trying to do - wipe all data off the drive?

I have accidentally formatted a harddisk with Windows 98. There are 2 partition in the harddisk. One is FAT and the other is FAT32. All the data are gone.

Is there any chance I can unformat the harddrive to recover the data?

Thanks
Best Regards
YH Chooi

Not really. There are many data recovery tools available, most for a cost. See thread528-480106 for a free one. If your data is very important, you may want to hire a professional data recovery service. For the greatest chances of saving the data, don't write any more information to the drive.

There are two ways to recover from what you have described. The first is if you made a backup image of your information.

The second is very expensive....to send it to a professional restoral service center. This option only works if you have done nothing else to the drive after formating it.

The best is to always make backups of your data information. You can always reinstall software from the original disks but your data could be crucial and a good backup is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back