Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To? two non-networked computers on one SCSI drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

chagme

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2002
US
I need to put two computers on one SCSI drive:

- Windows 3.1 (pre 95) on one side
- the other computer can be either Mac or Windows

Reason is I have a drum scanner with proprietary software running on a Win 3.1 system with a hard drive "shuttle" on the SCSI port. Images are saved to the drive in the shuttle. The drive is pulled out of the shuttle and switched to an identical shuttle on a networked computer for user access.

These shuttles have ceased to be manufactured and I need to prepare for the day ours die.

Or maybe there is a similar product out there. But it seems to me I'd be better off with a Mac or Windows system and not be married to some special product.

Thanks.

"Do I believe in Free Will? Of course. I have no choice."
- Isaac Bashevis Singer

There are similar devices, for SCSI, or for IDE that you can use. Tray mount for 3.5 that fits a 5" slot. You power the drive off and pull it out of the frame, tray and all. Tray goes into the other machine and you power it up.
Has been a while since I bought one. Think it was around $30 and from JDR.

You could also network them and transfer across the network.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks for responding.

I don't have the option of installing a tray mount on the Win 3.1 system -- only a SCSI interface at the end of a cable.

This Win 3.1 system is ancient and married to the drum scanner -- I don't want to mess with that hardware one iota. I need something I can attach to the end of the SCSI cable with a disk that easy to write to with DOS.

On the other side anything could happen -- preferably a Win or Mac system, as I said before.

I believe in Free Will? Of course. I have no choice.
- Isaac Bashevis Singer

External SCSI enclosure? Available from multiple places in the $50 range.
They generally have 2 scsi connectors, one for the controller and one to chain further down the line.
Do you have access via the OS to the shuttle drive? Could you copy it to an external drive as the transfer medium?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back