Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to turn off Power Saving mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moepower

Programmer
Oct 5, 2000
US
I mistakenly reply "Yes" when asked if I wanted to turn on the PowerSave feature (it turned off the server when it sits idle for 30 minutes). How do I go about turning off this feature? I am running Solaris 8 on a Sun Ultra 5 box.

ps. I said "No" when asked if it should ask about the PowerSave feature upon the server rebooting. Oops!

Thanks,

The power.conf file in the /etc directory lets you set the configuration for managing system power. It also enables you to set display power configurations that are followed for that display when a CDE or OpenWindows desktop isn't present, in CDE you can use dtpower to disable power management, on command line you can edit /etc/power.conf and change "system-threshold" to "always-on", then you must inform Power Management framework of the new setting by running pmconfig, you can also check "power.conf" man page for more details.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Carlos Almeida.

Hi,
Does anyone of u know how to disable power-key of a sun keyboard attached to a sun sparc machine?
Thanx ...

To disable that "feature" basically you need to rename the file in /usr/openwin/bin/speckeysd to speckeysd.old then reboot the system. So the power key will be disabled, another workaround for temporarily as follows:

ps -elf | grep speckeysd | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill -9

Normal operation of power demon will be restored at next reboot.

Or comment out the line 344 from /usr/dt/bin/Xsession that says:
#
# Start Sun special key daemon for support of
# Power keys, Bightness keys, Audio keys
#
#===>> comment out this line StartFirst dtstart_sdtspeckeysd

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Carlos Almeida.

Hi Carlos,
Thanks...I will try that today.....

Status