Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Trouble shoot ATX powersupply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp1976

Technical User
Jun 5, 2003
IN
Hi,

Can any one tell me how to troubleshoot atx power supply to check wether it is working or not. One of my friends had told me that there are 2 pins on the connector which are to be short but i donot remember the color code of those pins

Probably would be best if you had it connected to a M/B and use the power-on pins of the M/B to kick start it.

Some power supplies will self destruct if they don't have a load to force them to regulate.

Wires were black and green, but that happened to be from one specific supplier. May not be that color combination from another supplier. Better to wait and let another more experienced helper tell you the pin numbers.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thank u very much. That will be of great help. I just wanted this information in case i have a faulty M/B

There is a device for under $20 that you plug into the power supply that will tell you if the power supply works or not.

Ed's right with his suggestions above... Assuming your ATX PSU is of a standard design, it'll have a 20-pin motherboard connector. To start it, it requires a momentary short from pin 14 (sometimes labelled POWER ON) to a ground connection. The POWER ON wire can be green or grey, and ground wires are invariably black.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

"There is a device for under $20 that you plug into the power supply that will tell you if the power supply works or not."

What is that device called and were can I get it??

[lightsaber]

You could try google or on line auction searches for something like power supply tester or psu tester.

i bought one at compusa so they have them there. I think antec makes them as well. They work great.

Also, i made my own setup for turning a computer on.
I got a switch from radio shack for about $2, the one with only 2 connectors on it, its black with a red button, round or square, then you run a small thin wire from each connector. Each connector has a little hole in the end of the pin, perfect for solding a wire to the connector.
then you take a 2 pin connector from old junk and put that on the other end and you have your own switch. YOu plug that onto the 2 pins on the mobo and push the button to start your computer.
YOu can always just cut the switch out of the face cover of an old atx case and use that switch.
And dont use an old at switch they wont work on an atx.
And dont buy an at switch from Radio Shack either, buy the switch with 2 prongs or connectors on it, plastic end is black, red square or round button on it. They have 2 different ones,i forget the exact one but one switch has a higher ma rating or voltage rating than the other switch, get the one with the higher rating. It may even be a dollar more but get that one. The other switch wont work, it doesnt allow enough power to start the computer up.
YOu can always just use a screwdriver to short out the 2 pins on the mobo to start a computer up.

Here is one of the testers i was talking about. They are so handy!! Also, sometimes i cant get the unit to boot when on my test bench. I put the power supply tester on the power supply and it runs. Then i plug the power supply back into the mobo and the mobo boots up when it wouldnt before. I know it sounds crazy but honest it has worked for me so many times i cant count them! I would have got the mobo booting up one way or another anyway no doubt as i am relentless, but this sure makes it easier. After that, the mobo boots every time. Something in the circuitry of the power supply, it cant be the tester as i am pretty sure all the tester does is short those 2 pins together and that is what the power on button on the case does too!
Anyway, here it is, but i think computergeeks has one as well.
And I am certain you can get them at bestbuy and/or compusa, i have seen them in the stores there.

ROGER

Thank u very much ur update was of great help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back