Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to trigger an external device (Flashing Strobe light) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digit611

Programmer
Jan 5, 2004
US
My dilemna stems from the fact that I cannot seem to be able to measure any Voltage change in the lines going to the MLX20L's thus I cannot trigger a "Phone" flashing strobe light for visual indication of a phone call in the recording studio where the phones are to be used.

Is there any way to make the Legend port me + or - up to 48 V ac or dc ??? when an extension is being called upon ??

I am short of taping the Speaker voltage (~1.5V AC) and running that into a relay circuit of some sort.

There are devices that run off of S/L ports available commercially. Yu can get them at Radio Shack and other places, but they need the ring voltage of a S/L phone. You could either run this off of an S/L port on the system, or put it in front of the system, but in front of the system, you would need one for each line in.

If you have a t/r card put strobe light in a port and add lines, set them to ring, use pickup to answer call from any phone.

Thanks for the tips but I will explain deeper to see if these suggestions will work.

There are more than 50 extensions and only the last 10 will require a VISUAL call indication (Strobe).

Yes I do have a Single Line (S/L)(AKA T/R?) card and yes I would like to use it in this case as it seems to be the best approach.

Referencing Quote: "put strobe light in a port and add lines, set them to ring, use pickup to answer call from any phone"

How would I configure this scenario to do what I want. The calls would only be Extension Rings from the DSS operator there are no direct phone calls going into the recording studio (PS-Hollywood has tons of these sudios) I do not have vast experience programming legends and the WINspm utility is lacking in my opinion. ThanX

Put the device on a S/L port, set that port up as part of a ringing group with the telephone that you need visual indication on. If all 10 phones that you need the strobe on are in the same group, then it is easy, otherwise, you might be tying up a lot of S/L ports by setting one up for each ext. that needs the indication.

OR,
Install an MFM in the telephone that you want the indication on, and have the MFM (multi-function module) set for SAA operation. The mfm is a little circut board that is installed in an MLX phone, and it adds a port to the bottom of that phone. You would be plugging the strobe into the phone itself.

If you need an external alert for an extension, yes, use a Tip/Ring port for the ringer or strobe. In Centralized Programming, the single line port has "buttons" just like a multiline extension does. So you can add a Primary Coverage "button" to the single line extension, to have it cover the actual extension that it is to alert for, and they will ring/alert simultaneously.

TTT's suggestion is the best one IF you have a T/R card. If you do not, then the MFM would probably be the most cost effective

I Would like to thank everyone for their input and will employ some of these techniques today.
Will report results here soon, thanX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back