Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to translate html pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hello, who can help ?

I must create 2 versions of my html pages : french et english. So must I create 2 differents pages collections or are there any tools to translate one version to other on dynamic way??

thanks a lot

anna

Anna,

Language translation programs often give stupid results (try the Babelfish program in Altavista for a laugh).

So I suspect the options are:
* a set of pages for each language. This means you have to implement any changes to the dialogue design as many times as you have languages.
* if your server has any programming and file / database look-up facilities, you could have a database or a set of files containing pieces of text identified by a combination of a language code and a code (the same for all languages) whihc identifies the subject / content of the text. Then when the user choses a language, you generate each page using the selected language code plus the code for the subject / content which is needed at this point in the dialogue.

You also have to be cautious about how much conent you put into each page and each "box" in each page, because different languages require different numbers of characters to express the same idea. For example in most of the notices I've seen which are in both English and French, the French version is significantly longer.

Anna, this is definitely a design issue, not a programming task. And, of course, there is no "dynamic" way, unless (as Philcha pointed out) you want to be a laughing stock by using automated translators. Anyway, if there were (oh, god), we all would buy some little Babelfish, insert it into our ear and travel around the world perfectly understanding any language! :)

---
---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back