Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to transition to VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad69cat

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2010
US
Well, the discussion has come up again with a bit more serious dedication to getting it moving. We have an old OPT81 (Release 4 ver 3321) approx. 500 sets, as well as a small Opt 11 at another site with about 120 sets. Luckily no call center to support! I know we have a bunch of network upgrades to do first - upgrades of all switches and things. That will be the first part for sure. Then I need to see what we physically need to start transitioning from the PBX to the new system...? I guess this is where I need advice on what would make the transition easiest? I can't say for certain that we will not have a hosted system, but I seriously doubt that will be the case, as there are very big security concerns due to the nature of our business. SO - I imagine it will have to be a server parked here on site. What brands of systems seem to integrate well with Nortel systems? What are the pitfalls I need to watch out for? Any advice is appreciated.....

I wouldn't try and integrate anything with the Nortel. I would go Shoretel if it were me, which is now owned by Mitel. Of course you are going to have to get your network up to PAR to allow VLAN's and QOS as well as POE. That will be true with any VOIP System. Hosted has it's advantages but then you have monthly costs.

What methodology do you use to wean yourself off the Nortel and have both systems processing calls? You have to have some kind of tie trunk between I assume - and build a route for each set as you move it...? Do you need some type of a special gateway/router sitting between the 2 systems until you complete the transition?

I have done a few Nortel to Cisco tied together during the transition with PRI's. Still have one right now still in transition. No special gateway, just QSIG PRI's between the 2 systems. You have to have the QSIG Packages to do this. My recommendation to you is replace everything you have at once and not do the transition. Easier on everyone.

Hmmm - I'm a one man show! I will have to have lots of hands on deck to do it as a forklift upgrade...... the guys at our corp headquarters are hell bent on Cisco, not sure if that is what will be pushed?
How do I tell if I have QSIG package? I can at least look at that..... we never did much upgrades on this old girl.

Nothing wrong with Cisco if you have deep pocket's. I cant remember what the packages are for QSIG, although it is not very common to see the packages in a basic system. The nice thing about doing a forklift upgrade to VOIP is you can have it all up and running ahead of time and then switch the trunks over. And if you don't have the QSIG packages you will never get them for that old of system.

Looks like you need Packages 263 and 305 for QSIG to interface with a Cisco CM

OK - Thanks! I'll see if I can remember how to check packages...... I know Cisco is ridiculous in cost - both upfront and continuing. But they are going to let the IT dept make the call no doubt. I like the functionality, but honestly the Shortel stuff is great bang for the buck. I know a lot of guys who love it too. I think the ultimate goal is to reduce the body count here, and have control of it from HQ personally..... might not need an old telephone guy once it's done! :>/ Luckily I have some Cisco experience.... trying to get them to help you on something you don't have a maintenance agreement is an experience I don't want to repeat!!

I'm running a hybrid Opt61 and Cisco CallManager environment and have also worked in the past with migrating from an Opt81 to Cisco with over 5000 users. QSIG trunks with vacant number routing is the way to go for sure, that way you can migrate one phone at a time if you want and don't have to worry about steering codes. A flash cut comes with risks too, all the testing in the world by a pilot group won't reveal issues that only present themselves when full capacity is reached.

I'm support a system with QSIG networking with Cisco for almost 10 years.
It is completely problem-free and supports the most important functions.
I can recommend the protocol ISGF
QSIG and QSIG GF Packages must be equipped

I wouldn't be afraid of a forklift/flash cut. I do them all the time. But that's my full time job also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back