Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to transform Oracle tables into files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi there:
I'm trying to discover the way Oracle uses to transform tables into files.
The problem I have is that I must, every week, send an email through VisualBasic, attaching those files. I've got no idea about Oracle, but someone has told me that oracle provides an specific tool to do it.
The second problem is how can I interact from a VB program with this Oracle Tool, so that the program can ask Oracle to make the transformation.
Thanks a lot ...
joserra

The way I know of is to do an export (use the exp utility) of the table or tables. That will create a .dmp file that you can email. Too bad I.T. is not cash business

Luc Foata
Unix sysadmin, Oracle DBA

I think you need to use 'spool' like this;

spool <filename>
select * from table_name;
spool off

This will create an ASCII listing of the contents of the table.

You may have to play around with column headings, page sizes to get what you want exactly

Alex

Hai,
As per my knowledge, you cannot use export.EXPORT AND IMPORT output cannot be readable by us i believe. Export can only understand import data and vice versa.
If your output file contains only few rows, then you can very well spool the file in the sqlplus prompt Like the one mentioned above. Else i heard that there is another undocumented tool by oracle corp. sqlunloader. Not sure how to use it. But i heard such tool is there which will give us a .data file.

Regards,
Giridhar Kodakalla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back