Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to transfer DNS information from 1 server to the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino03

Technical User
Feb 25, 2003
SG
Hi. i have 2 primary domain controller for 2 separate domains initially.One is a mail server cum pdc and the other is Dns cum pdc.
i have decided to separate the mail server from the pdc by installing the microsoft exchange 2000 server in a new machine connecting to the new pdc. my question is how do i transfer the DNS information from the old pdc to the new pdc i m using?
what should i do exactly? i am new in doing this so pls help thanx alot

Easy. You dont transfer it, it does it for you. Just build a new DC and leave it on the domain for an hour or so and all the zone info will be replicated - assuming your zones are AD integrated.
Or, if you wanna do it the hard way. Copy the zone data from c:\winnt\system32\config\netlogon.dns. (open file in notepad)

And just a tip - dont run Exchange 2k on a DC!!! And always have 2 DC's per domain (minimum)!

You can also go into Active Directory Sites and Services once you've built the second box, (Per matulike, who is 100% correct), and force replication. (Are you running W2K or NT?) Thanks and good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"It's not what you look at that
matters, it's what you see."
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862); US essayist, poet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back