Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to tracert IP on sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2001
ID
Hi, Sorry to trouble your.

Actually, how can we trace the IP on Sun Solaris. On windows NT, we can used the command &quot;tracert <IP Address>&quot;.
How about on Sun Solaris??

Cheers!

traceroute is the command u are looking for.
just type
traceroute xx.xx.xx.xx

see man pages on more flags on traceroute

sendhil

&quot;traceroute&quot; command is only available in Solaris versions >= 2.7, if you are using Solaris 2.6 you will need to follow
&quot;Grega&quot; sugestion and download &quot;traceroute&quot; from sunfreeware.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Carlos Almeida,

Thanks you to your prompt reply!

May I know the same command on AIX server?

Actually, I faced some problem during I installed checkpoint firewall on Sun Solaris and AIX server.

I faced another problem on Sun Solaris is my Sun have quad cards and one onboard network adapter. There is very funny because I have key-in hosts name, IP address, netmask for all the network adapter. When I ifconfig -a, there only show me the correct setting of the onboard network adapter. The less is not show correctly. So, What I do is copy the working file from other server and replace it! Then it work!

Anyone can answer my doubt!

Cheers!

AIX also has &quot;traceroute&quot; command, on Solaris if you have a quad ethernet (qfe0,qfe1,qfe2,qfe3) Solaris at boot will use /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.qfeX (X=0 to 3), to configure them, so you should create files if they don't exist, i.e if your qfe0 will be hostname &quot;myhost-qfe0&quot; with ip 192.168.1.1 do the following:

add myhost-qfe0 192.168.1.1 to /etc/hosts create /etc/hostname.qfe0
# echo myhost-qfe0 > /etc/hostname.qfe0
# ifconfig qfe0 192.168.1.1 ....
# ifconfig qfe0 up

you can also add network mask to /etc/netmasks in our example

192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

Hope this helps,

Carlos Almeida,

Thanks to your reply!

If I created those files from the file manager. Then I need to type this command on console or terminal!

# ifconfig qfe0 up

Or another way is follow the command below to create the files!

add myhost-qfe0 192.168.1.1 to /etc/hosts create /etc/hostname.qfe0
# echo myhost-qfe0 > /etc/hostname.qfe0
# ifconfig qfe0 192.168.1.1 ....
# ifconfig qfe0 up

Am I right?

Thanks!

Cheers!

Yes !, &quot;ifconfig qfe0 up&quot;, will bring interface up (you can then try ping to check if responds ok.

Regards,

Carlos Almeida,

Basically, I able to ping the IP addresses of those cards after I created through the File Manager. But when I type &quot;ifconfig -a&quot;. Only the onboard adapter is display the correct IP address. The less is not!

I'll try it later and let you know!

Cheers!

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back