Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Test Migrate Mailbox from Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonSI

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2004
US
Hi,

I currently inherited a very troublesome exchange 2000 server. I just brought up another exchange 2000 server on a new box. I am pretty sure it is configured properly, but I am no exchange administrator.

Here is what I would like to do.

1. How do I COPY the mail boxes from the original exchange to the new exchange box?

I bascially want to copy the mailboxes over to make sure that I can connect to the new exchagne server from my outlook, and make sure everything looks good. This way, i also presever a copy of the original mailbox on teh old server, incase something goes horribly wrong w/ the migration.

I know I can use MailBox move in AD, but that is doesn't preserver teh old location.

So any tips or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ton

first of all, when u installed new ex2000, u need to join to the same org as old ex2000, then in ADUC--->exchange task------> move mailbox, that's no brainer.

------------------------------------
Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

Benlu,

Thanks for your quick reply. As I mentioned, I am no exchange administrator. So sorry if my question seems like a "no brainer" to you. I wish I had the knowledge in exchange like you do :) It would make my life so much easier right now :)

Ok.. here are some dumb questions from me based on your answer -

1. What is ADUC? I know ADC = Active Directory Connector, but what is the "U"?

2. Also, doesn't "move" relocates that mailbox to the new server, rather then just "copying" for testing the new server? As I mentioned in my original post. I want to copy some mailboxes over, so i can makes sure everythign is workign right before the migration on the weekend to the new server.

3. If I "move" the mail boxes to the new exchagne server, how to I "QUICKLY" reconfigure everyoen outlook to point to the new exchange server instead of teh old one? We are not currently running GPO at this momement. That is one of my next on my "to do" list.

Thanks again.

Ton

1. Active Directory Users and Computers
2. Set up a new test account and create a mailbox for it on the first server. Send a test message to it to initialise it once it appears in the GAL. Then right click on acct. in ADUC and select Exchange tasks then move mailbox
3. Outlook should work out for itself where the mailbox has moved to from the Global Catalog information

Neill

here is a very good step-by-step link i recommend u to read.

it covers most of your questions.

BTW, ADUC=ad users and computers, u don't need ADC, 'coz u are not migrating, u just move the mailbox. it's not that compicated. so, i said "no brainer" .lol.

Neil,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Umm.. I feel lame that ADUC = Active Directory Ussers and Computer. I have been working on this mail server to long, that I didn't realized that :p

As for the Outlook portion, i'm kinda confused.

Maybe I am just setting my outlook tottally wrong over here.

This is the way I configure outlook for a new user:

1. Launch Outlook
2. Outlook replies there is no account setup.
3. I go through the outlook 2k wizard and specify that I'm using Corproate mail.
4. Outlook wizzard asks for Server and Account. I then put server = Exchange1, and account = user name.

So what you are saying, even if all my outlook currently point to exchange1. When it moves the mail box to Exchange 2, outlook will know to go to Exchange 2 from AD?

Thanks again.

Ton

Benlu,

Thanks for the link :)

I'm happy to hear that this isn't that complicated :) i am very relived now!!!

The document you sent me to is moving mail boxes from Exchange2k to 2k3. It is the same basic concept from 2k to 2k, right? Just wante to confirm w/ someone that has experience w/ these things like yourself :)

Ton

u betcha Ton. the same of ex2000--->ex2000. for outlook client, when ur mailbox have been moved to the new server, outlook will query Global catalog server for the Exchange server which hosting the mailbox and get a referal back , so, technically, u don't need to re-configure outlook clients, but , frankly, in the real-world implementation, visiting dekstop is un-avoidable. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back