Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to tell when computer was last powered on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2002
US
Other than event viewer are their any text files that will tell when the computer was last started?

I don't know of any text files, but I do know of a handy little app we run on our servers. It's called Backgroundinfo. It'll give you the boot date as well as other misc. info about your machine. I've pasted a link with some screen shots. The page also contains a location to download the software if you're so inclined. :)

Not to my knowledge, but you could create a batch file:

@echo off
time /t > C:\Startup.txt

and put it in the global startup group (although this will be run on login) which will contain the time of last startup.

John

When using this:

@echo off
time /t > C:\Startup.txt

It overwrites every time you boot. Is there a way to make or change so it will display the previous boot?

Thanks guys for all the help!

zipperhead;

Download uptime.exe from:

Sample output:
\\MTI has been up for: 10 day(s), 4 hour(s), 18 minute(s), 43 second(s)

If you need a text file then just run:
uptime > myfile.txt

Ed

Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

by the by, when windows starts up it creates a new windows page file (c:\pagefile.sys), so you can look at its date and time to see when the computer was last booted.

Televison will make Radio Obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back