Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to tell if RAM chip is faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

creyzo

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
GB
I have run several ram Diagnostic tools and they all state the chip is fine. Yet it is only registering as 256, when 512 is even printed ON THE BOARD?! Surely the chip must be faulty, but can it be fixed? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

>Surely the chip must be faulty,

If you have diags like MEMTEST and it passed, its very unlikely its faulty.

> Any ideas would be much appreciated.

This is a common problem with cheap PC133 memory - especially when you are using a PC100 motherboard. Quality and standards differ with PC133 memory creating problems. Get some branded memory that is compatiable with your board - ie. Crucial.

try to test it on other systems and if it still read 256 then time to send it back to your vendor.

Hey helpless-my friend bought a lapttop recently and had the same problem. He tried to reformat several times and we checked his events. (Right click my computer and go to manage, then event viewer) There were hundreds of errors which explains a bit of the bottleneck on his system. The error processes may indicate the problem too. Just research the event ID on the web. We still had problems as he continued to get the runtime error message. It ended up to be a faulty hard drive so I would be very curious to know what happens with your system-keep me posted. Good luck!

Sorry, my previous comment was intended for another thread. (ah new users hey) Try downloading and using aida32. It is a fantastic tool. It will clearly show you what you do and don't have on your system. If it still says 256MB, I would print out the page and take back for sure. :)

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

Not bother running aida32 it is a great tool, but if the BIOS is showing half the memory then the memory just isn't compatiable.

There are differing types of chip dentisy, single side against dual side etc - you have memory that won't work with your motherboard (most likely due to the age of the motherboard). The memory isn't faulty.

apparently the motherboard (KTV4) supports pc2700 wich is what the memory is (supposedly), and it single sided (333). so I'm guessing must just be faulty... Ill try the aida prog and find out.

A little hint though, NEVER buy stuff off SIMPLY, I odered a motherboard 256ddr and 512ddr. The first chip wasn't pc2700 so the tow chips couldnt be run together, and now it looks like this one is knackered too! Shocking service too, but at least the motherboard is ok.

Cheers people.

I think the motherboard model you meant to post is the MSI KT4V, not KTV4. Also, just because the motherboard is only seeing half doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the memory stick. More than likely, it's just not compatible with your mobo.

Do you have more than one stick of PC2700, or is the 512MB all that you have?

The best way to tell if a memory chip is faulty is to try it in another mobo. In the future, make sure the brand that you buy guarantees compatibility. Crucial and Micron are two reputable brands that will do this (of course, there are others).

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

yeah I just havew the one at the moment, and the motherboard does support it (apparently). I just ran AIDA or whtever it's called and it seems to rpoet everything as fine (although still 256). So It looks like it will have to be sent back as suspected.

I think if I ever buy memory it'll have to be from crucial... slightly more expensive but worth it if there's no hassle. Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll back your decision to buy from Crucial.

I bought a 256Mb PC2700 (166 MHz) DIMM from them recently which produced some horrendous BSoD with Win2K. I phoned Crucial up in Scotland, the helpdesk guy told me a few checks to carry out, and the replacement DIMM arived by return of post using Royal Mail's guaranteed next day delivery.

So I'll be using them again.

Iechyd da! John
13:28 08/09/2003 BST

i guessing your memory is fine.
it your motherboard that doesn't recognize the ram density of the ram.
is the ram single sided or double sided?
if it's single sided i'll bet it's in perfect working order and your mobo is just not recognizing it.

if it were me,
either i would :

1) i'd keep it for when i'm going to upgrade the mobo in the future.

2) or take it back in exchange for a double sided 512 ram instead, or 2 sticks of 256.

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back