Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to tell from switch if you are being hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggiejack

Technical User
Feb 17, 2004
US
Hello everyone. Can you tell from looking monitoring your switch if you are being hacked. DOS attack, etc. I have looked and monitor the switch, but I am not sure what it all means. Any good links or tutorials on security and how to monitor using the summit switch Thanks

Typically you do not have the switch on the very edge of your network. They are not firewalls so there is usually a firewall in front of the switch. The only thing you could do for DOS would be to look at the web page of the Summit and look for higher than normal port activity.

What type of switch is it? I know the Iseries switches have the capablility of setting thresholds to deffend against DOS attacks. You can always check the port utilization to see what it's at. There are utilities like MTRG/PTRG and cricket that will log it.
[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back