Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to take incremental backup in ARCserver2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

remich

Technical User
Jan 12, 2003
IN
Hi,
I'm really struct with the following quries,
1. How to take the Differential / Incremental Backup
2. How can i group more than one servers and the should go to the Incremental backup on weekdays ????

pls help me if anybody have answer

Incremental backups are selected under the Schedule tab when you are creating the backup job.

I don't quite understand what you mean by grouping servers, but I am going to take a guess. All you have to do is select the servers under the Source tab. All your potential servers should be on the left hand side window. Underneath the My Computer entry you should see entries for Client Agent and Network. Pick your servers from these lists, with Client Agent being the prefered way to access a server. But don't select the SAME server through Client Agent and Network.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Don Osicky

your reply quite help me to take Incremental backup and for the grouping, let me explain my current backup method,

In all days we are taking Full backup for 15 servers in 15 DLT's

Instead of this i just want to take the 15 servers Incremental backup to 4 or 5 DLTs - so i just wanna group 3 or 4 servers and to be named as "group1" if i select this group all the 4 servers incremental backup should go to single DLT. same as if i create 3 or 4 groups then i might have 4 DLT's enough for 15 servers Incremental backup

Pls help me if you have any solution

Hrm...again, this might not be the only way to do this, just my suggestion...

I would create a different backup job for each "group" of servers. You can even save these "scripts" as .asx files for future reference. Just title the backup jobs to reflect which groupings you have set and document them well so others will know what is being backed up where.

When you are creating the backup jobs, just select the servers you want grouped and submit the job. ARCServe can handle doing multiple backup jobs easily.

For instance, you have 15 servers that you want to have go to 4 DLTs. I don't know what levels of change activity you have, but for our purposes, lets say that the order of ranking is:

SERVER 4 Heaviest utilization (Largest amount of data to be backed up)
SERVER 6
SERVER 10
SERVER 14
SERVER 2
SERVER 1
SERVER 7
SERVER 13
SERVER 3
SERVER 12
SERVER 15
SERVER 8
SERVER 5
SERVER 11
SERVER 9 Lightest utilization (Smallest amount of data to be backed up)

I would create, and submit, a job called...GROUP1, and put SERVER 4 and 9 in that backup job. Next job I would create, and submit, would be GROUP2, with SERVER 6, 10 and 11. Next job, GROUP3, containing SERVER 14, 2, 8 and 5. Last job, GROUP4, containing SERVER 1, 7, 13, 3, 12 and 15.

ALL of these jobs can exist in the ARCServer job queue, and be queued up for execution at the same time.

I hope this demonstrates what I mean clearly enough to help you, but I have to ask....why would you NOT want to do FULL backups given the fact that you have the capability to do so?

Regards,

Don Osicky

Hi Don,
Its really a good solution for grouping the servers, and i think this will work out.

For Full backup it took long time to complete even though we are having 3 Heaviest utilization offline server are going for Full backup but other servers may reduced the timings and in case of problem in offline servers we may reschedue

Thanks for solution and i'm having one more query which will post soon

Regards,
Goutham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back