Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to switch permissions between user or groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcerv

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2009
CZ
I have a request from Customer to prepare a function to switch users or groups permissions. For example one user is leaving the organization and another user will take care of his work a has to have the same permissions on objects inside Enterprise workspace.
Is there a product that can accomplish this?

I know how to do it inside database, so I can write down some procedure to do this, I’m just interested if there is some other solution.

Thanks
xcerv

I, along with many others, will tell you not to use the database for this type of activity as there are too many potential issues which can occur as a result.

In an ideal world, all users should be in groups and so simply replacing the leaving user with the replacement user should solve that issue, which you can get from the users and groups page or the KUAFCHILDREN table if you prefer SQL

For the specifically assigned permissions, you can query DTREEACL to collate them all together and then either use LAPI/WebService/Manually update the affected nodes.

I did start writing a replace user package for a previous project, and have a feeling other partners may have one too.

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

HI,

These feature exists in the Record Management Module.
You can switch ownership for deleted users and from existing users for a period.
Not perfect but it could do the job.

You can also develop a simple Java problem using Webservices.

Regards,

JP

Thank you both.
I know it is not a best idea to do it in the database. However in the client eyes its the chepest and fastest way.

Doing it trough web services would be quite slow for many objects, or not?

They want to swap the permissions for group too, group for group.

Regards
xcerv

Webservices / LAPI may be a bit slower than a direct DB update, but they will ensure that you update ALL the required tables and do other things such as CallBacks and Auditing etc.

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

If you have webreports, you could use a livereport to pull together the list of nodes where the orginal user is listed in the acl list, then have the webreport perform a permissions update for each node. I would definitely create a group for the new user and apply that instead of an individual user. If you don't have webreports, you should get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back