Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to suppress blank pages in a report that the subreport is controlling the data collected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timISST

MIS
Jun 12, 2012
US
I have a report that the data collected is driven by the subreport. The report looks like this

detail A is the subreport
Detail B is the data to be displayed based on the subreport returning a value of 1 any other result is to be ignored I can suppress this based on subreport <>1
Group footer with a bunch of text fields in it. I can suppress this on subreport <>1

IF the value of the subreport is not equal to 1 then the record is ignored no page generated at all. Here is my problem when I run the report for a given date range I am getting blank pages for the records that do not equate to 1. Any ideas?

Can you provide a little more info please. Is it Section A that that is creating the Blank lines? If so, how is the sub-report structured that causes it to return blank rows?

In general, the way to deal with this is:
1. Set sections in sub-report to either be suppressed, or suppressed when blank;
2. Format sub-report to "Suppress Blank Sub-report;
3. Format Section A of main report to "Suppress Blank Section".

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Pete

Hi I went and looked at what you suggested and this is how it is set up but it still generates a blank page for a record that doesnt meet the criteria.

I did a little testing and the subreport section is what is generating my blank pages. All the sections of the subreport are suppressed ( no drill down) the subreport itself is formatted to suppess blank subreport and all the sections ( except the one the subreport is in are suppressed if Count ( generated by the subreport) is <>1. I thru the page number in that section and that field is there on every page with data or blank, so I am presuming this is what is causing it. I hope that gives a little more info and someone can tell me how to correct this. Thanks

You need to format the section of the main report that the sub-report is in to "Suppress Blank Section".

Cheers
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back