Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to stop Windows 10 from rebooting after updates 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
A user friendly version would have a little icon which appeared in the corner and got bigger over a period of time to tell you that an update was required. When you finish for the day, you could click the icon and the update could take place and reboot as often as it liked.

Unfortunately in the real world, Microsoft seem to have forgotten that some of use our computers for far more than Facebook and checking the weather.

Keith

Check your update status. You can change

1) the update hours
2) the restart options
3) advanced options to defer updates
4) advanced options to login after updates
5) advanced options to choose where to get the updates from

MS releases their patches on Tuesday. On the internet connected machines, I update weekly or monthly. If it is not connected to the internet, I don't bother with updates since most of them tend to be internet related patches.

The login after updates helps because some of the updates have parts 2 or 3 to finish but it only happens after you've logged in. Great when it does it at 0300 - just remember to save your work every night.

I just stop the services associated with windows update and background transfer.... turn it back on when i want to update.

As xqb listed, you can easily change the update settings. For instance, I try to (when I think about it) set business hours at something like 6am to 6pm, and whenever I do that, it SEEMS so far to take care of all those issues. In that regard, it seems like Windows 10 handles restarts after updates better than prior versions of Windows.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I have my update check at 4am in the morning. While my computer is in sleep mode at that time, the computer starts up, applies any patches, and goes back to sleep. It works just fine.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

A user friendly service would not reboot at all, but allow the user to choose a time for the upgrade to take place, and at that time, stop any services affected by the updates, update their corresponding files and dependencies, restart the services, and recommend a future reboot at a date and time of choice, and/or a rollback of any, or part of, the upgraded service or services if the updates proved troublesome. Meanwhile the telemetry and error reporting subsystems (which I find in no way invasive) can allow the developers involved in the upgrades to identify and fix their bugs and conflicts in the 4-5 weeks until the next date due for cumulative upgrades (i.e. the following "Patch Tuesday"), or sooner if urgent.

To experience a failed reboot due to some upgrade conflicting with system stability is not helpful and causes lost productivity and user frustration. To have a further delay while the system rolls back to the state existing before any of the updates were installed is crazy if only a single part of the update failed, and the whole shebang has to be downloaded again which is the third insult.

That is a good move but if the designers had originally been thinking about the end users rather than simply adding as many gizmos and unwanted apps as possible, it would have been there all along.

Keith

>adding as many gizmos and unwanted apps

Which gizmos and unwanted apps are you referring to (that were not, in some shape or form, in also included in previous versions of Windows)?

Cha Cha, Cut the Rope, Encyclopedia Britannica, Geno Pro, Groove Music, Get Office, Apple Update, Evernote, Feedback Hub ........................................................................

Keith

I'd love to find a way to block all that garbage.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

>Cha Cha, Cut the Rope, Encyclopedia Britannica, Geno Pro, Groove Music, Get Office, Apple Update, Evernote, Feedback Hub

Odd, apart from Groove (oh, and Get Office), I don't have any of those installed in my copy of Windows 10. Perhaps it isn't Microsoft that have been adding these ... for example I'd be stunned to find Microsoft deploying Apple Update (or Apple letting them) to Windows 10, either by default as part of the OS installation or post OS-installation. Also, are you quite sure you are not confusing suggested apps that appear in tehStart menu live tiles with installed apps (e.g I have a tile that seems to show I have Minecraft installed - but I don't, and the tile actually links to the Store)?

I don't have the explanation of why 3rd party apps might have been reinstalled after an OS update, but the list of apps bundled in the OS by Microsoft is:

3D Builder
Alarms & Clock
Calculator
Camera
Cortana,
Get Office
Groove Music
Mail/Calendar
Maps
Microsoft Solitaire Collection
Movies & TV
News