Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to stop virus scan when opening documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

gshuster

Technical User
Jun 10, 2000
CA
In Office 2000, every time I open a document it is scanned for viruses. How do I stop this? I have McAfee VirusScan 5.16 which apparently has attached itself to Office programs like Word & Excel.
B-(

I haven't used McAfee, but in Norton AntiVirus I can change the extensions (eg. doc, xls) that are auto-protected via options/auto protect. I assume McAfee offers something similar. It might be worth you having a browse through the program to see if you can turn up the answer ... otherwise, Sorry! :-( I'm afraid you'll have to wait until someone familiar with McAfee picks up your SOS.

... or you might think it worth the hassle of leaving enabled just in case a rogue file sneaks in

(|:)>

"On the other hand ... you have different fingers"

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Problem solved, but I'm a bit sheepish. In McAfee, disabling heuristic scanning removes the API scan function in MS Office. But that wasn't the cure.

I have Norton SystemWorks installed, but not running. (It works well, but consumes huge resources & is comparatively slow IMO). Nevertheless, it installed itself into the MS Office virus scan API and even scanned new empty documents, causing a very annoying delay for no good reason. I found the configuration for the MS Office interface, disabled it, and viola, problem solved!

Thanks for your response though.

X-)

Haven't we all been there ... not just seperating the wood from the trees, but finding which trees!!!!! LOL

Glad you've solved the problem.

(|:)>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back