Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to STOP SPAM from going to Distribution List

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisbbb

MIS
Jun 4, 2003
US
Ok, we all know we cannot stop spam from getting to a user unless we have a 3rd party program.

Does this hold true for Distribution List?

For example..

If a spammer get a hold of the distribution list with an email address ALLMAILUSERS@MICROSOFT.COM
then all the spammer have to do is keep on sending to this address and the entire Micorsoft will get the spam..

Your experience is appreciated.

Rules apply to all emails. Only options are to block the SPAMMER's domain in Exchange (probably not a valid domain though), buy 3rd party software, or change the distrubution list.

It's been a while since I've messed with distribution lists, but how about this... Distribution lists usually are for use internally. SPAM comes from the outside. What I've done in the past was (especially for 'everyone@domain.com' type of lists) is give permission for only certain users to send mail through that list. It will thereby limit who can send mail and eliminate an outside address from sending mail to it.

Thanks for the reply. It is here where things get a little fuzzy.

This technique will require you to manually add new users onto the "Accept messages from" field everytime there's an addition to the company. It would help if there was an option to only accept users from the company and rejects everyone else.

Or you can add a 'group' of users. Everytime someone is added to say "Executives" group, they're automatically added to the distribution list "Execs" and only that group has permission to SEND to that group. Give the group Executives permission to send and you don't have to add individuals every time.

IT WORKS!!..

I have SALES@mycompany.com and the spammers got a hold of it. The entire company got spams everyday and no one is able to "unsubscribe" it.

This is the solution I need to block spammers from sending to DL by applying ALLMAILUSERS DL to the Allow restriction field.

Thanks Jeepix.

Same problem here. What I did is quite simple.

If the DLs are used exclusively within your organisation and don't need to receive mails from outside, remove the smtp address(-es) from the DL. Still works fine over the X400 address internally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back