Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to stop Groupwise from remembering password 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slotmech

Technical User
Apr 4, 2003
US
We run Groupwise 6sp2 and connect by TCP/IP. On some clients you have to put in the password each time you start Groupwise. On others it appears Groupwise is remembering the password after the first login. How do I turn off the caching of the password?

it's not caching it

they must likely have the box ticked in the security
no password required with edirectory.
personaly this is my preferred option

Let me clarify some more. On a 98 box when someone were to cancel out of the novell login prompt or on a 2000/xp box go into workstation only, groupwise still comes up because it is connecting by TCP/IP. After the password is put in the first time it will not ask for it again, when reopening groupwise. Unless I restart the box. But this only happens for some users, not all. How come?

Terry712, I'm not sure I understand what your saying. I don't see any check boxes except Novell single signon in the Groupwise Security options.

It sounds like Notify might be loading on startup and not the GW Client. On initial boot does the full GW Client screen come up, or just a box asking for the GW password?

If a user has notify being loaded upon startup, and the security level of the system is not set to high.
Then a user will be asked for their password upon startup for GW Notify. Under this scenario the GW client will not prompt for a password when started.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Farout - Both notify and Groupwise are loaded on startup. We typically use the default setting when installing/loading Groupwise Client. I can't figure out why some behave and some don't (welcome to windows, huh).

One last question Slotmech, Is it only Win98's or only 2K PC's or a combination of both that exhibit this oddity?

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Farout - It happens on 98se and XP machines. I haven't verified it on a 2000 machine yet.

In GroupWise go to Tools - Options - Security...

Do you see an option for, no password required with NDS? Also in ConsoleOne, assuming you're using GroupWise 6.X, there is an option to clear the GroupWise password. Hope this helps...

in the shortcut after the grpwise.exe put a space and then this /@u-? on the target line of the any goupwise app that you want to stop at the login in screen.

Hope this helps

Sean Allen

Sorry for my delay in responding. I was on vacation.

While all of the above suggestions are fine at the user or workstation level, if you want to implement this security system-wide there is a much easier way of doing it.

1. In ConsoleOne select the Domain, Post Office, or User you would like this to apply to.

2. Click the Tools->GroupWise Utilities->Client Options menu item.

3. Click the Security icon.

4. On the Password tab deselect Allow password caching. This will prevent the "Save Password" checkbox from being clickable on the login prompt.

5. If you wish, you can also deselect Allow eDirectory authentication instead of password to prevent users from using that option too.

Hope that helps. It should make your job easier because you won't have to visit each computer to modify the shortcut or the client options.

-Ron

We all play from the same deck of cards, it's how we play the hand we are dealt which makes us who we are. -Me

I've answered this question before so I turned my response into a FAQ. Feel free to read it and rate it...

faq12-4676

-Ron

We all play from the same deck of cards, it's how we play the hand we are dealt which makes us who we are. -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back