Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to start several programs at once

Status
Not open for further replies.

eXtremX

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
PT
Hi... Is there any way that I can make some kind of script or something else to start several programs at once?

Like when I go to the Internet I usually start Opera, MSN Messenger, IRC, and Outlook, so it would be a lot easier to only click one "icon" and get the whole stuff.

Thanks!

You sure can, open notepad and enter the full paths and file names of your required applications. Then save the file as filename.cmd

Example below would open calculator and notepad when clicked. The Exit line just closes the Dos box that will appear.

c:\windows\system32\calc.exe
c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe
exit

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Hi gpalmer711, I too would like to know...Your answer is good but when I tried your example...Calc.exe opened and Notepad.exe didn't open until I closed Calc.exe.
My question is how can they be opened at the exact same time?

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.

Sorry about that, my brain is just not working properly today. The following opens all applications at the same time

start c:\windows\system32\calc.exe
start c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe
exit

Greg Palmer

One thing... if I want to start a program which path contains spaces like "C:\Programs\MSN Messenger\msn..." it doesn't work...

There is a way, right?

Sure is take a look at the following. See how the quotes only encase the specific sections where there are spaces.

start c:\windows\system32\calc.exe
start c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe
start C:\"Documents and Settings"\Greg\"RAU Test"\calc.exe
exit

Greg Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back