Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to start services for System Attendant and Information Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

trimelater

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
US
I just installed Exchange 2000 yesterday and I wanted to startup the services but I get some sort of error that will not let me startup the services.

Second, I created a mailbox and can not send or receive email. I cannot even startup Outlook 2000 with the new mailbox.

I am reading throug Exchange 2000 Server Administrator by Sybex. What sucks is that I am only in chapter 7 and getting nervous if this Exchange thing will work or not.

This whole Exchange 2000 looks totally different from Exchange 5.5.

[pipe] I am going to go take a smoke.
Trimelater

I'm sorry I Can't help you, but can you tell me whatwas the book you read ?
thx.

Exchange 2000 Server by Sybex is the book, mstserver.

As for the error, I don't know exactly what the message. The message was something like, start the system attendant.

I think I need to start setting up the routing stuff and information store. I just don't know how to do it yet.

trimelater

Did you do an upgrade from Exchange 5.5 to 2000? Did you put 2000 right on top if 5.5? You can probably find out some of the error codes in the event viewer. What are some of the event ID's you are getting?

I think you didn't do a couple of steps, like "setup /dominprep" and "setup /forestprep" You don't have permmissions set properly. Make sure you have the Exchange computer name in the "Exchange Domain Servers" group account.

Also it sounds like you need to reconnect the mailboxes if you did an upgrade.

Please provide more info.

Chefboy

I did run forestprep first then domainprep. I am in a testing environment for Exchange 2000. What I have done so far is installed Exchange 2000 on a new computer. I plan to use that new computer to place the old domain. Once that works, I am going to do a clean install on the old server.

I gave myself all the permission needed such as Enterprise domain admin, schema admin, and much more.

Any other suggestion will be helpful. I just cannot find the IMS in Exchange 2000

[lightsaber]
Trimelater

Event 9097- The MAD monitoring thread was unable to connect to WMI, error xxxxxxxx

Event 8197- Error initializing session for virtual machine HESC1. The error number is xxxxxxx. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running.

[pipe]
Trimelater

Have you installed any service pack?? You may have problem mounting mailboxes after upgrading if ( at least )SP1 is not installed....

I have installed SP3 for Exchange. I think it's SP3. I check the system manager in help and it is version 5.0 SP3.

This is not an upgrade, it's a clean install. I just can't get mail sent out or receive and the services started.

Trimelater

I already try doing that already, it gave me more errors. I have determine to redo the whole process over.

Trimelater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back