Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to start program automaticaly at the boot time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Jul 12, 2000
CA
How do I start program automatically at the boot time.
I have installed software on my server which requires
a process to be started automatically at the boot of my
server. What do I have to do in order for this to work?

Thanks for any help

You must create or edit the profile or .profile on your home directory. So everytime you login with your user name it will be read and executed.

Hope it works...

Hi

You got to create a startup script and place it in the appropriate runlevel directory , u will also have to create an entry in the "/etc/inittab" file for the default runlevel , u can refer to some good unix documentations or unix books for this , u can try docs.sun.com , all the best !
rajesh

You can start it in rc.d in userdef in directory 8 i believe it is. Anyhow this is the startup sequence for multiuser. Pulling location from memory, but definite about the 8.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Actually I think user defined startup scripts should go in
/etc/rc2.d

(That could be different if you should a different run level
On openserver 5 it would be /etc/rc2.d)

-Danny

Hi,

I think you should edit the /etc/inittab file. There you can add the program you want to be executed during start-up. Take note that before you edit it, make a another copy of the original file, so that if your scripts does not work you can easily restore the inittab.

hope it wokrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back