Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to start POSTGRESQL server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun1350

Technical User
Apr 7, 2000
MY
Visit site
I tried to run postmaster after login in as postgre user. However, it mentioned that the data path was not found and asked me to use the -D option. When I used the -D option and specified the data path to be /usr/lib/pqsql/data, it mentioned that it could not locate the certain program.<br><br>For your information, I installed the POSTGRESQL package when I installed my Linux server.<br><br>Thanks.

I just compiled PostgreSQL 7.0 and am in the process of testing and installing it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I had similar problems, which turned out to be due to incorrect file permissions and/or running as the wrong user.Most of the details are in the Installation Guide, but I've had to read between the lines in places.&nbsp;&nbsp;A long-time *n*x user will probably know intuitively whether to do certain things as the psql super user or as the psql user, but the Guide isn't always clear about this.I'm learning.Oh, BTW, for anyone interested, an RPM was posted to the ftp site yesterday.&nbsp;&nbsp;It doesn't say, but I presume it to be for Intel processors.Octalman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back