Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to start hosted exchange 2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mega128

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2004
US
I am going to start a project that cosists of one AD, clustered exchange 2003 and one OWA. Our company will provide mailboxes at $9.00 each to differnet users from different companies. How can I add different domains in one setup. Companies will point their MX reocrd to us or tranfer their domain to us. How can be this done without using microsoft tech service? Thanks all for reading.

This is all doable within a single AD without many problems. however, there are MANY steps involved in doing this correctly. One of the first things you want to do is evaluate the needs of your customers. Are you going to offer owa only, or exchange over RPC as well? Are you offering public folders? The AD design is crucial in a hosting environment. Username conventions as well as user security is key.

I could point you to some Microsoft white papers as well, but anybody can do that ; ) .

Thanks athelu for reply. Yes we need to offer exchange over RPC including public folders. I've heard this whole setup can be accomplishe using multi forest infrastructure but I doubt how is that possible?

It really is not necessary to use a multiforest design unless you plan on having multiple physical locations (even then, you can accomplish it with AD sites & Services). You may not want to add unnecessary complexity to your AD design unless you are forced to.

If you use MS Exchange Enterprise Edition, you really have no limit to the number of accounts you can host. The typical desire is to split customers into different storage groups, and this does make some sense. the best leverage is to seperate your largest customers into their own storage groups along with some other smaller customers. Each server does have a limit (I think 6) that it can have, and you always want to leave one open so that you may mount a Recovery Storage Group if necessary.

as far as specifics on how to host multiple domain names in exchange, I have posted the basics of how to do multiple domain name hosting in this thread here:

This post does not address any of the issues of security, Address book restrictions or AD setup. Of course I said I wouldnt post a microsoft link, but instead of confusing the issue, the core of it is here:

Once you have decided on an AD structure it is very easy to generate scripts that will automatically create the Customer OU in AD, as well as create the individual customers.

You will need to handle what Exchange information your users have access to as well (address books). I have found that the best/easiest way to do that is by modifying the users msExchQueryBaseDN inside of ADSIedit. I have attempted to create individual address books for each of my customers, and assign those to each, but have not had much success.

Thanks for info. I have tried article "Hosting exchange 2003" by Amit Zinman in and that works for me. Hope this can be informative for you too.
Thanks again.

Yes, AndyPeck I know that we have to sign up. We are now just in begining state. Thanks for reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back