Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to start developing GUI apps with Java? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyGroves

Programmer
Aug 13, 2003
IE
I currently write GUI business applications for Windows using Borland C++ Builder, but would like to convert them to cross-platform (Windows and Linux/Gnome). And that presumably means using Java. No problem there; I'd like to learn Java.

However, I'm not quite sure what tools to use and have a few questions which I hope somebody can answer.
* I have installed Eclipse; is that a good base to start with?
* Which widget toolkit is most appropriate? I've heard that SWT is simpler, but that Swing is more cross-platform.
* Is there a visual window designer and editor available which will work with Eclipse?

There are probably loads more questions I need to ask, but that's all I can think of for the moment.

Thanks a lot.

a) I would encourage starting with an editor with syntax-highlightening, and compiling from shell, until the combination PWD - package - CLASSPATH is really understood.

For projects of more than 3 files I can recommend eclipse.

b) I did never learn SWT - sorry.

c) There is a visual editor available for eclipse as plugin.
I threw it away, because, in the end I'm faster writing by hand.
It was not convenient when I used it a few years ago.
I also made experiences with jdeveloper (oracle) which produces ugly source code.
Your taste may differ.

don't visit my homepage:

Swing is included in JDK.
SWT is developed by Eclipse company.
Therefore, you can view the applet developed with Swing if you have suitable JRE installed.
If you want to view the applet developed with SWT, you have to add some libary in your classpath.

The eclipse editor is written with visual C++ and SWT. SWT seems to give less load to CPU but you have to consider little more in refresh mechanism.

I think many companies have used Swing in Java Application with GUI but the market share of SWT is increasing.

You can learn the fundamental knowlege on Java and Swing. Then you can have some tutorials on SWT. (SWT needs some concepts in Swing)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also you might want to take a look at NetBeans 5.5

if i need a complicated GUI layout up and running fast, it has a very easy drag and drop GUI builder.

and its free also

Thanks,
Nate_Bro

OK, that looks good. Am I right in thinking it does the same job as Eclipse? Is either clearly better suited to the sort of projects I'll be working on?

Thanks.

well i like NetBeans better for my personal preference, but I believe both can handle multiple file projects.

i use TextPad for small java apps without GUI's, i also use TextPad it for PERL and C++.

but i would just try both Eclipse and NetBeans and see what works better for you.

Thanks,
Nate_Bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back