Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to start counter at 0001

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunan

Technical User
Feb 11, 2004
GB
Hi

I have used the following code for a number of years with no issue an initially, the data for this database was imported from excel with unique ID numbers already listed so I just had to set the counter to carry on from the last ID number which was over 1000. However, I am creating a new database and will be entering all the details manually so I need the ID number to start at 0001 and increment to 0002, 0003 etc on each new entry. The problem is no matter what number I type in, it always removes the zeros from the start.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Function Next_Custom_Counter()

On Error GoTo Next_Custom_Counter_Err

Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
Dim NextCounter As Long

Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset

'Open the ADO recordset.
rs.Open "CounterTable", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic

'Get the next counter.
NextCounter = rs!NextAvailableCounter

rs!NextAvailableCounter = NextCounter + 1
NextCounter = rs!NextAvailableCounter
rs.Update

rs.Close

Set rs = Nothing

Next_Custom_Counter = NextCounter

Exit Function

Next_Custom_Counter_Err:
MsgBox "Error " & Err & ": " & Error$
If Err <> 0 Then Resume
End
End Function

Use a number format like "0000"

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried this in the tables and forms associated with the action but it doesn't work.

The data is entered through a form, when the members name is added, it takes an operator of 'mem' and adds the next available number from the counter table creating a full membership code, for instance 'mem4'. What I want it to do is show as 'mem0004' so that the numbers will always be the same length.

Thanks

mem" & Format(Next_Custom_Counter, "0000")

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks I appreciate your help, where do I place this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back