Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to split print jobs? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

feshangi

MIS
Nov 24, 2004
US
We have purchased 2 exact printers. These printers are on a network and each has unique IP address. What I would like to achieve is to split the print jobs between these two printers. For example if printer A is currently printing and a user print a word document I want that job to be redirected to printer B since printer A is busy. I played with “Enable printer pooling” option and didn’t get the appropriate result. Note that I am running Windows Server 2003 (SBS) and basically I install the actual drivers on the server and share them over the network for my clients.

Anyone have any idea for my scenario?

Thank you in advanced,

Mike

You can use printer pooling to achieve this. To do this, connect the printers to your Windows machine (for instance, connect three printers to USB001, USB002 and USB003). Install the print driver for one of the printers. Then on the "Ports" tab of the print driver (Start, Settings, Printers, right-click the printer and choose Properties), check next to "Enable printer pooling." Then place a check mark next to the ports that are connected to the other printers (for example, USB001, USB002 and USB003). Windows will automatically handle allocating the print jobs across the pool. Note that Windows takes care of the pool, you have no control over which printer the job will go to. if you want some fun (not to mention excercise) put the printers in different rooms/floors or even buildings <g>.

Marty
Network Admin
Hilliard Schools

Thanks martyh for the quick reply. This is exactly what I did but all the print jobs are going to one printer! How can I test this out?

Did some more research and it seems that windows will only redirect to other "pool" printers if one becomes unavailable. So printer 1 in the pool will get all the work unless you turn it off (or maybe if it runs out of oaoer or jams or something).

Marty
Network Admin
Hilliard Schools

We have this set up on our network.

It can be a bit of a nightmare!

Yes windows will automaticlly send all jobs to 1 printer(the default printer cannot be changed and it will sometimes switch between the 2), then when it is unavalable (or is printing jobs) it will divert to the other printer

To invoke it to send jobs to the 2nd printer you need to print a fair amount (try creating a 20 page document and printing it 10 times, it will fall over to the other printer)

Printer pooling is a nightmare, as most new printers have memory installed so they take the jobs straight from the server and they get removed from the queue, so you need to fill that memory up and get a few jobs in the queue before it will switch to the other printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back