Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to split data into separate columns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

casiansala

Technical User
Dec 19, 2006
GB
Hi, I am new to sql ,but i haven't give up....yet
I have one column with various information separated by ";" I would like to separate this information into separate fields? I know it can be done,but i do not know how...any sugestions?

It's not a great idea to store data that way...

ANSI SQL has no simple way to accomplish what you want. Check out SUBSTRING and POSITION, e.g. something like:

SELECT SUBSTRING(column FROM 1 FOR POSITION(';' IN column)),
FROM yourtable

My suggestion is to export the table data and add some new columns. Then you import the data again, this time into separate columns.

faq701-6293 is written for Access SQL but it will probably work with ANSI syntax as well. You will need to change the comma-delimiters (",") to semicolon-delimiters (";") to apply it to your situation.

It is however somewhat complex and I must agree with JarlH that using multi-valued fields is not recommended and it breaks normalization rules about values being atomic.

What DB platform are you using SQL Server, Oracle etc.? Depending on the platform there are a variety of solutions available for this particular problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back