Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to span 1 Organization across 2 E2K servers in 1(same) domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahuahc

Programmer
Mar 13, 2001
US
Hi,

I basically want to host 1 organization across 2 ( or more) E2k servers that belong to the same domain and are in the same geographic location. Is this possible? If so, any suggestions how?

The reason I want to do this is primarily that this 1 organization would be hosting about 200,000 mailboxes over the next 4-5 months and i want to load balance this huge number of mailboxes over 2 ( or more ) e2k servers.

thanks for any help.
miranom

if the servers are in the same forest, after you set up your first exchange box you just need to join the others to the same ORG. Be advised however, that there's no true load balancing. If one of the servers goes down, all the users homed there will be affected...

Thanks brontosaurus for the reply.

I was easily able to join the second exchange server in the same domain to the same organization. After that to test, I created the following scenario

E2K Server 1:
created the following users: m1@domain.com, m3@domain.com

E2K SErver 2:
created the following users: m2@domain.com, m4@domain.com

SYMPTOM: I added all the users to Outlook express client. I am able to send mail without any errors, however, when I try to pop the email of any of the mailboxes created, I am NOT able to.

SYMPTOM DESCRIPTION: I get prompted for logoin box asking for username and passwd of the mailbox on each excange server. However, these are NOT ACCEPTED and i get prompted inifitely. Hitting cancel gives the summary failure message:

ERROR DESCRIPTION:
"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your passwd was rejected. The specified directory service attribute or value does not exist. "

Any suggestions on why I am not able to check mail for any of the accounts created on each of the Exchange servers? when attempting to send mail between them?

thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, gosh!es

regards
miranom

you including the domain name with the username?
Just curious, do you have a regular Outlook client you can test with?

Thanks Brontosaurus for asking the right question. it forced me to think along the lines of domain name, org name, email smtp address space. I realized that i had a DNS realted issue.
it now works and I can send receive email from mailboxes hosted on diff e2k servers with same smtp address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back