Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to solve Unknown device status in Device Mngr after a fresh instal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannydanny

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
DK
Hi,

I`m have just done a fresh install of Windows 2000 on my IBM NetVista M41. After installation, I went to Device Manager, and there were 3 items with the question mark and a yellow circle next to them. I inserted the CD I got from IBM with all the drivers required for my machine, and one by one installed drivers for 2 of those items (It turned out to be the network card and sound card).

However W2k can`t find an appropriate driver on the CD for the last item. According to the device manager, its a PCI device, but I have not installed any PCI devices...

My PC will run fine, but that "unknown device" status in device manager bugs me.....

According to device manager, the device sits on PCI Bus 0, Device 31, Function 3, and consumes IRQ 5.
The thing is, if PCI Bus 0, Device 31, Function 2 is a USB controller, and PCI Bus 0, Device 31, Function 4 is also a USB controller, does that make my mystery device a USB controller too (since the function number is in between)?

Are there any other ways/tricks of finding what type of device it is? I see that IRQ 5 is usually for the LPT2 parallel port, but I don`t think my computer has one....

Thanks for any info,
Danny

i am sure this is about sound system, try to install all drivers of sound card.

You can also try deleting the device, reboot the system, and see if you get anymore information when it re-detects the device. If not, you can always point it to the different driver folders on your CD during the re-detect and see if you get a hit.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your input.
In the end, I downloaded the AIDA32 software, ran it and it detected the "device" as some sort of Chipset management feature.....not sure what it does but I ran the Chipset software installation and now Device Manager shows no Unknown Devices!

I must add that the AIDA32 software is one outstanding piece of software!! Easy to use and packed with all kinds of features. It even has a language select, which is useful as I work with both English and Japanese computers. If only Windows were this intuitive to use!!!

Thanks again,
Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back