Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to slow down videos and speed them up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Import the file as a clip, then drag it down onto the timeline. Right-click and change "Speed". You can set the new speed as a percentage of the original or as a new duration. This will change the duration of both the audio and video.

To just change the video duration (if the audio is off from the video) you can preload some audio before the video (or negative preload, which lets video play before the audio starts). Use this if the audio is constantly off a particular rate. If it's close at the start of the video and gets progressively worse, then you can change the frame rate of the video by small amounts to adjust. I know how to do all these things in VirtualDub and have never had a reason to learn them in Premiere, but vdub pretty much only supports the .avi format.

From reading your post again, it sounds like you might want to just slow down (or speed up) one short portion of a longer video. That can be done, too, but I won't get into it unless you need/want the info.

I downloaded the clip, but don't have an appropriate decompressor, so I couldn't really see what you were going after. What was it encoded in, a very new version of Windows Media or maybe ASF (might be one in the same, am unsure). I just made a couple guesses here at what might be the problem. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

thats what I want to do. To slow a portion of one clip down and up. If you play that example video. There are numerous examples of them slowing one clip down and speeding it back up. I'm not talking about just speeding/slowing down an entire clip. Just a portion of a clip

You could break up the clip into pieces and change the speed of each one, assuming you want discrete speed changes. Premiere can't perform continuous speed change functions (ie, slow down gradually). ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

did you manage to find a way to do this? - i would like to do it as well...

Follow icrf's suggestion. Import your clip, use the razor tool (left hand side of timeline) to break the clip into the segments you want. For each segment you can right click on it and select Speed to slow it down or speed it up. Since you used the razor tool the adjacent clip will pick up exactly where the other left off.

Even simpler than that and twice as cool.
Use keyframes to adjust the speed in premier pro of after effects. That way you can fiddle with the time in an entirely non-linear fashion. razoring and speed adjusting is now a thing of the past. Have fun.

correction: Premier pro does not have time available as keyframeable. I apologize for my error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back