Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to simplify the login process for my website? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

longmatch

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
I have developed a website for data collection and presentation. The users have to login three time before reach my pages. The first login is the computer login, which allows users to use the computer, then user need to provide login information for our intranet, actually the user name and password are the same as they used for computer login. After users go to my page, they have to provide correct login info for accessing their data. I think the login process is to tedious. Need to find a way to simplify it. How to combine the first two logins is my big concern for now.

thanks

longmatch

Create a cookie with the information from the database that check the login info and add this code to each page where the user needs to log in everytime

<%
if request.cookies(&quot;login&quot;) = &quot;&quot; then
response.redirect &quot;another_page.asp&quot;
end if
%>

This basically check on every page if the user already logged in as you may have determined.....

If the user has yet to log in the below script should read as follows:

<%
if request.cookies(&quot;user&quot;)(&quot;firstname&quot;) = &quot;&quot; then
response.redirect &quot;login.asp&quot;
end if
%>

or you can use sessions with this at the top of each page

if Session(&quot;access&quot;) <> &quot;True&quot; then
Response.Redirect &quot;login.asp&quot;
end if

and this on the login page

If Not rsLogin.EOF Then
Session (&quot;Access&quot;) = &quot;True&quot;
response.redirect &quot;index.asp&quot;
Else
Session (&quot;Access&quot;) = &quot;False&quot;
end if

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Isnt your intranet Domain based? or it's workgroup?

For the first 2 loging steps you should have a Domain and let users log to domain then they can log into web.

Or another solution is to make some logon scripts for each user so after they logs in into your network they dont need to log again on the web side.

The logon script can work with databases or files (VBscript)

________
George, M

Thanks for everybody's input. If my understanding is right, cookies and sessions can only be used in web pages. How can I get Windows login information such as username and password to allow users to login our intranet without login again. Another questions should be how to integrate windows login with my web site login. I just want to make the login process more user friendly.
Shaddow asked about intranet domain. Yes we do use intranet domain. Users do not need it in my department network. But if they need to login our intranet out of our network, they do need provide this information for intranet access.

Thanks everybody

I am expecting more ideas

Longmatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back