Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to show summary when there are nulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2002
US
Hi all..
I have 2 simple tables:
Table1 - referral information
Table2 - employee information

I am trying to provide a simple rpt showing summary of referrals for each employee. Problem is - how to show summary when employee does NOT produce a referral (there is an employee name in table2 but nothing in table1)? Another words, I need to show that employee X did 0 referrals?

Thanks,
J

Again...no real details as to how you are doing the summary OR the structure of the report

[Guess mode ON]

If it is a simple count of referals (I'll ASSUME there is a left Outter Join to bring back the employee name) then a manual count of referals can be done.

I'll ASSUME there is only one Group (Table.employeename}

In the group header put an init formula

//@init (suppressed)
WhilePrintingRecords;
NumberVar Rcount := 0;

In the details place this formula

//@countReferal
WhilePrintingRecords;
NumberVar Rcount ;

if not isnull({Table.referal}) then
Rcount := Recount + 1;

then the result is displayed in the group footer

//@Displayreferal
WhilePrintingRecords;
NumberVar Rcount ;

"Number of referals: " + Totext(Recount,0);

[Guess mode OFF]

that should work

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

Thank you so much for help.. sorry for data incomplete.

Structure looks like this:
//1 summary - based on employee name

Employee x = number of referrals

Not for sure if this is resulting in results I need - I need to show employee names summary (# of referrals)even if they didn't produce any referrals.

Rpt should look like this:
Jon 12 referrals
Terry 6 referrals
Sam 0 referrals

This might have to do w/ my dbase - access 2k. But I did make sure that Crystal has my link via Leftouter join.

Thanks,
J

based on your info...my method should work

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

I think the left join should be from the employee table to the referrals table. You would group on {table.employeename} and then create a formula {@referrals}:

if isnull({table.referral}) then 0 else 1

Then insert a summary (SUM, not count) on {@referrals}. I think this would show a zero for employees without referrals.

-LB

ahhh.. thank you all for your help.. It worked..

However, when I ran this formula it displayed as 1 even though they didn't produce a referral. I overcame this by writting a if statement -

if isnull({Referral.RefNo}) then "No Referrals"

... that way it would tell me who didn't produce referrals.

Again, than you all for your help.

J

I'm guessing you may have inserted a count on the formula, instead of the SUM that I suggested. A count of a formula will give you the number of times the formula appears, not the number of times that the result meets the criterion.

But, glad you got it working.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back